Moving to the UK
With a strong international profile, as well as staff and students from more than 180 countries across the world, you can be reassured that we understand how much there is to consider when moving to the UK and The University of Manchester.
We can provide both financial and practical assistance with your relocation to Manchester to ensure that you receive the support you need, and we’ll do all we can to help make the process as smooth as possible for you, your partner and your family.
Manchester is well-located for nationwide travel across the UK and beyond.
Working with our International Staff Network Group, we’ve created an International Staff Handbook (file size 1.78M) to answer some of the practical questions you may have before coming to the UK, and to give you information about our facilities and services.
Helpful resources on moving to the UK
- International applicants information – our guidance and support for people from outside the UK who are planning to work with us.
- British citizenship and moving to the UK – If you’re interested in moving to the UK or becoming a British citizen, this page contains information that can help you get started.
- British Council Guide for International Researchers – for international staff coming to UK universities.
- Visit Britain – from days out and holidays to events and travel, this site tells you all you need to know – including handy interactive maps showing where some of the best tourist attractions in Britain are located.
- Visit Manchester – the official destination website for Manchester.
- UK Yankee – Expat Americans in the UK – this site is devoted to American expatriates living in the UK and includes information about moving, culture, education, immigration, real estate and even pets.